Articles Tagged with “Boston product liability attorney”

hoverboardWe saw the worst that can happen last week in Harrisburg, PA when a hoverboard caught on fire in a family’s home, claiming the life of a three-year-old child.

The hoverboard reportedly ignited while charging, destroying the home. The three-year-old girl died at a local hospital and two other girls were left in critical condition. The girl’s father and a teenage boy were treated for smoke inhalation.

This tragedy was compounded by another death; a local firefighter was reportedly killed in a motor vehicle accident while driving to the fire, the victim of an alleged drunk driver who now faces charges.

20141111_airbag.jpgLong before the deaths and injuries, Takata knew its airbags were defective, according to two former employees of the company.

In fact, Takata knew about the defects as far back as 2004, the workers told The New York Times. The Japanese company learned one of its airbags exploded and sent metal debris spewing at a driver in Alabama, then began secret testing at its U.S. headquarters in Michigan. The testing was conducted outside normal work hours and was never disclosed until now. Three months into testing, employees began to theorize the problem was the welding on the airbag’s inflator canister, but the investigation was shut down and employees were instructed to destroy all testing data.

It took Takata four years to report the faulty airbags in a regulatory filing. In November 2008, the first Takata airbags were recalled.

Fire damageIf you own a dehumidifier, there may be a refund heading your way.

Last week, 2.2 million dehumidifiers were recalled in the U.S., along with 52,500 units in Canada. The dehumidifiers pose a fire hazard and can overheat, smoke and catch on fire, according to the Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC). Consumers are advised to stop using them immediately and contact the manufacturer Gree Electric for a refund.

Gree Electric issued the recall for multiple brand names after receiving 165 incident reports, including 46 fires and $2.15 million in property damage. No injuries have been reported.

The dehumidifiers were sold under these brand names: Danby, De’Longhi, Fedders, Fellini, Frigidaire, Gree, Kenmore, Norpole, Premiere, Seabreeze, SoleusAir and SuperClima. The units sold for $110-$400 in various sizes and colors, from 2005 through last month.

The defective dehumidifiers were sold at Home Depot, Kmart, Lowe’s, Menards, Mills Fleet Farm, Sam’s Club, Sears and other U.S. and Canadian stores. They were also available through Amazon.com.

See a full list of the model numbers and how to obtain a refund.

One of the last major dehumidifier recalls came in 2011. LG Electronics recalled 98,000 Goldstar and Comfort-Aire dehumidifiers after they were linked to fires causing over one million in property damage. A home in Hudson, Mass. sustained $183,000 in fire damage. Homes were also damaged in Pennsylvania, Minnesota, Indiana, Ohio and New Jersey.

The Goldstar and Comfort-Aire dehumidifiers were first recalled in December 2009 following 11 incidents, including four fires. The company re-issued the recall in 2010 and 2011after receiving 16 additional reports of smoke and fire and nine significant fires. No injuries have been reported.

Check Your Home Appliances for Winter
The recall provides a good reminder to check your household appliances for fire hazards before the winter.

1) Make sure your appliance cords are covered and not frayed or ripped anywhere.

2) Check your smoke alarms and carbon monoxide detectors. You should have a smoke alarm in every bedroom and a carbon monoxide detector on every floor.

3) Check the CPSC website. Recently, the CPSC has announced recalls involving floor lamps sold at Target and ceiling lamps. Both products were recalled for posing a fire hazard.

Related:
Home Fires Prompt Dehumidifier Recall Reannouncement from LG Electronics, Consumer Product Safety Commission.

Target Recalls Threshold Floor Lamps Due to Fire and Shock Hazard, Consumer Product Safety Commission.

Ceiling-Mounted Light Fixtures Recalled by Dolan Designs Due to Fire and Shock Hazards, Consumer Product Safety Commission.

(photo credit: Consumer Product Safety Commission flickr)
Continue reading