Attorney Marc L. Breakstone was interviewed by WBZ NewsRadio this morning about his client’s plans to file a wrongful death lawsuit against Columbia Gas and parent company NiSource. Attorney Breakstone is representing the family of Kenneth DeVeau, a North Andover man who suffered injuries when he was evacuated and later died from complications.
Listen to the 60-second clip below or read the full article on the WBZ NewsRadio website. You can also listen to this audio clip on the WBZ NewsRadio website.
Source: Audio news clip is courtesy of WBZ NewsRadio.
Attorney Marc L. Breakstone has confirmed to the media that Columbia Gas and parent company NiSource will face a second wrongful death lawsuit following the Merrimack Valley gas explosions. Attorney Breakstone is representing the family of the late Kenneth DeVeau of North Andover, who suffered cardiac arrest and slipped into a coma after the Sept. 13th explosions. DeVeau, 57, suffered from illnesses such as Myotonic Dystrophy and a weakened heart, and had limited mobility due to a chronic neurological condition. DeVeau suffered the heart attack and injuries at an evacuation center. He was then transported to Lawrence General Hospital, where he briefly regained consciousness. He died from complications on Sept. 26.
Attorney Breakstone said the family has not yet filed the wrongful death lawsuit. They will do so once DeVeau’s sister is appointed the personal representative of his estate.
NiSource disclosed the second wrongful death claim yesterday when it filed its quarterly financial disclosures with the SEC. The company noted two parties had reported their intent to assert wrongful death claims after the Columbia Gas explosions in Merrimack Valley. Prior to this, only the family of 18-year-old Leonel Rondon had announced its intention.
Family of late North Andover man says he suffered cardiac arrest, slipped into coma after Merrimack Valley evacuations, Boston Globe, Nov. 2, 2018
Family says 2nd death linked to Merrimack Valley gas explosions, WCVB, Nov. 2, 2018
Second Family Plans Wrongful Death Suit Against Columbia Gas And NiSource, WGBH, Nov. 2, 2018
Second wrongful death lawsuit to be filed against Columbia Gas, Lawrence Eagle Tribune, Nov. 2, 2018
Family of man who died in aftermath of gas blasts plans suit, San Francisco Chronicle, Nov. 2, 2018
WBZ Radio Coverage: Attorney Marc Breakstone Interviewed, Nov. 2, 2018
The space heaters and hot plates distributed to Columbia Gas customers in Merrimack Valley present serious fire and safety issues. We urge residents using these devices for heat and cooking to follow these important safety tips:
Space Heater Safety
- Do not plug into extension cords or power strips.
- Use on a level surface.
- Keep at least 3 feet away from furniture, bedding and other flammable materials.
- Keep children well away from space heaters.
- If it blows a fuse or trips the breaker, stop using it immediately.
- When you leave your house, consider locking your space heater up in a room which children cannot reach. Make sure it is unplugged.
Hot Plate Safety Tips
- Use hot plates on a steady countertop. Keep a 1-foot circle of safety around your hot plate.
- Do not leave pots or pans on the hot plate.
- Stand with the hot plate while you are cooking.
- Keep children away from any cooking device.
- Always turn your hot plate off.
Over the next few months, remember to test your smoke alarm batteries a few times each week. You can set up an alarm on your cell phone to help you remember.
Learn Your Legal Rights – Call 800-379-1244
Breakstone, White & Gluck, a Boston personal injury law firm, is assisting residents and businesses affected by the Merrimack Valley gas explosions on Sept. 13. Many residents in Lawrence, Andover and North Andover will be recovering for a long time.
We are assisting residents who suffered physical injuries, emotional distress and those facing the prospect of several months without gas service. Because of the uncertainty about gas service, it is important to learn your legal rights now.
If you have lost your gas service, you may be entitled to file a claim for compensation from Columbia Gas, beyond what the gas company or a community fund may offer. Do not sign any paperwork accepting a payment without first speaking to a lawyer who is experienced in investigating home fires and gas explosions involving utilities. At Breakstone, White & Gluck, our lawyers are here to listen to your personal experience and really work to help you. Read about our past work.
Learn your legal rights. For a free legal consultation, contact Breakstone, White & Gluck at 800-379-1244 or 617-723-7676 or use our contact form.
Attorney Marc L. Breakstone was interviewed by The Boston Business Journal about the Merrimack Valley home explosions. Attorney Breakstone roughly estimated there are $100 million in legal liabilities related to the natural gas explosions, which devastated entire neighborhoods in Lawrence, Andover and North Andover last week. His early estimate was based in part on a preliminary assessment of home values in the area.
Attorney Breakstone is a Boston personal injury lawyer, with over 35 years of experience representing those who have been injured by negligence. He is experienced at representing those injured in construction accidents and home gas explosions.
If your family has been affected by the Columbia Gas explosions or fires, Breakstone, White & Gluck can assist you. Please call us at 800-379-1244 for a free legal consultation.
In the summer of 2010, one of our clients died after a propane gas explosion in the Norfolk, Massachusetts condominium where he was working. Our client was trapped for more than 90 minutes before he was rescued. He died the next day.
We later learned our client had no warning there was a propane gas leak. The chemical odorant added to emit a “rotten eggs” smell had faded. Attorney Breakstone filed a wrongful death lawsuit against EnergyUSA and Smolinsky Brothers Plumbing and Heating, alleging EnergyUSA was negligent and had under-filled a new propane tank. He later negotiated a $7.5 million settlement with the defendants in 2012.
The Norfolk explosion raised awareness of the dangers caused when companies are negligent in handling propane gas. In Massachusetts, state officials warned consumers to check recent propane deliveries. In July 2013, the federal Pipeline and Hazardous Materials Safety Administration published a national safety alert warning the public about the risks of under-odorization.