How Dangerous Is That Boston Intersection?
Boston drivers may have a reputation for being the worst around, but the city has managed to stay off a list of most dangerous intersections in New England. On the list, compiled by GoLocal Worcester, the closest Boston came to mentions were intersections in Somerville, Chelsea and Cambridge.
This Somerville intersection of Mystic Avenue and Fellsway was third on GoLocal Worcester’s, “60 Most Dangerous Intersections in New England” and first on its, “10 Most Dangerous Intersections in Massachusetts.”
60 Most Dangerous Intersections in New England
New Haven, Connecticut is home to the worst intersection in New England, with 561 car crashes reported over three years. A stretch of Interstate 95 in Pawtucket, Rhode Island came in second, while Somerville’s Mystic Avenue and Fellsway intersection ranked third.
10 Most Dangerous Intersections in Massachusetts
GoLocal Worcester ranked dangerous intersections based on total number of crashes over three years, deaths, injuries and property damage. It collected data from each state’s Department of Transportation. It considered traditional intersections as well as on- and off-ramps on highways.
1. Somerville: Mystic Avenue and Fellsway. This intersection saw 91 total crashes over three years, including three fatal crashes, 24 crashes resulting in injuries, and 64 car accidents which resulted in property damage only.
2. Chelsea: Revere Beach Parkway and Washington Avenue. This roadway saw 39 total crashes in three years, including two fatal car accidents, 11 with injuries, and 26 crashes which resulted in property damage only.
3. Stoughton: Canton and School streets. The numbers were very similar to Chelsea: 39 car accidents in three years, including two fatal auto accidents, 10 with injuries and 27 with property damage only.
4. Waltham: Main and Lyman streets. Some 73 crashes in three years, including one which resulted in a death, 18 resulting in injuries and 54 crashes with property damage only.
5. Holyoke: Main and Cabot streets. This spot saw 57 car accidents over three years, including one fatal car crash, 18 with injuries and 38 which resulted in property damage only.
6. Worcester: Main and Mill streets. This area saw 53 total motor vehicle accidents, including 1 traffic death, 18 crashes resulting in injuries and 34 resulting in property damage only.
7. Cambridge: Massachusetts Avenue and Vassar Street. This area saw 41 car crashes, including one fatal accident, 19 with injuries and 21 with property damage only.
8. Lowell: Veterans of Foreign Wars Highway and Varnum Avenue. This area saw the second highest number of traffic accidents, with 165 over three years. There were no fatal car crashes, 37 with injuries and 128 which resulted in property damage only.
9. Holyoke: Holyoke Street and Holyoke Mall at Ingleside. This intersection saw 198 crashes over three years, more than any other spot on GoLocal Worcester’s list. There were no fatal car accidents, but there were 29 accidents resulting in injuries and 169 crashes resulting in property damage only.
10. Lowell: Bridge Street and Veterans of Foreign Wars Highway. There were 112 car accidents here over three years, including no fatal crashes and 34 which resulted in injuries. Some 78 other motor vehicle accidents resulted in property damage only.
10 Most Dangerous Intersections in Massachusetts.
60 Most Dangerous Intersections in New England 2014.
About Breakstone, White & Gluck
The Boston motor vehicle accident lawyers at Breakstone, White & Gluck have over 100 years combined experience handling cases involving car accidents, truck accidents and pedestrian injuries. If you have been injured, it is important to learn your rights. For a free legal consultation, contact us today at 800-379-1244 or use our contact form.